8. Managing surprises

Sometimes I'd be in the middle of a really good book when Ashley would drop by. It annoys me when friends drop by unannounced, but it pleases me as well that I was in their thoughts. The annoyance is trumped by feeling flattered so it's all good. Like when Jason wouldn't stop buzzing at 2 am, disturbing my dreams and my only shot at getting a kiss from Clive Owen. Turns out he was dumped by Boy #127, and we shared tears over leftover berry cheesecake -- the cheesecake we baked together when Boy #127 asked him out a few days ago. I'd rather console a crying Jason than kiss an imaginary Clive anyway. I think. I kid!

So when there was a knock on my door this morning, I was super annoyed. There was no warning buzz from the main door, so who could it be? I didn't let anyone in. I unbolted every lock but the last one and peeked into the hallway. It was Josh from the 7th floor, bearing food. My tummy did some cartwheels. Oh who am I kidding. They did air dances and somersaults and many, many, cartwheels.

It was a thank-you for the pie I shared with him last Thanksgiving. But this time, he said, I could have the whole thing for myself. It was a tin can filled with shortbread. I took a bite out of one piece and declared that yes, he was right, I am saving this all for myself. It tasted really good! Store-bought, he pleaded guiltily. I didn't care. It was so thoughtful of him.

I invited him in for morning coffee. I was so happy to see Josh I forgot I was in the middle of blowdrying my hair. No wonder he was looking at me funny. Ha! I finished drying my hair while I left him in the kitchen with a plate of cookies and a mug of English Breakfast latte.

Then Jason buzzed in, and when I introduced them to each other, he went, "Ah, Josh, the Thanksgiving guy, good to meet you." WHAT THE!!! I know this is cliche, but if looks could kill, Jason would be dead twice-over. Of course Josh caught all that and he just laughed, "Yeah, the Thanksgiving guy." I hope he doesn't think there was a Fourth of July guy or a Christmas guy. I mean, come on, Jason. Be smoother for me.

That was the only horrifying point of the morning. Jason and I headed off to brunch, giggling like schoolgirls once Josh was out of sight. Well I hope he was out of sight AND hearing distance.

That was the only surprise I enjoyed this morning. The other surprise came in the form of a text message from my cousin, saying she has a meeting in the area next week, maybe we could hang out during the weekend. Cousin and I are very competitive with each other, but I don't know. We still love each other to bits. Maybe because we both don't have any sisters. Whatever. I was kinda annoyed at the inviting-myself-over thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing her anyway. Again, the annoyance is trumped by the anticipation of hanging out with her, so it's all good.

No Comment so far

Post a Comment