Small talk is one thing I can live without. Having to think of something to talk about with a stranger is highly awkward for me. I guess you could say I'm not running for office at all. I just don't have that kind of energy. Ironically, small talk was how I met my good friend Jason.

I was at this bookstore, debating whether to get the audiobook of a teenybopper series. Okay I admit it, I'm a Twilight fan. The New Moon audiobook was in my hands one minute, then back on the shelf the next, then back in my hands, then on the shelf. It was a tug of war between the sixteen-year-old in me and the more practical "Just buy food with the money!" side of me.

Jason was standing beside me the whole time. I didn't even notice him. We started talking about Twilight. We both gushed when we confessed we were both on Team Jacob. That was revealed in whispers though because there was a THRONG of tweens wearing Team Edward shirts around us. We did not want to be mauled.

That was a couple of weeks ago. I'm wary of strangers, really, but sometimes you just feel it when someone is genuine. Jason's my date to the New Moon movie. We're both not sure if it will be better than the book (since the book wasn't the best) or if the book will be better (which means the movie must really suck).

It's tough making friends in a new place. You can't tell all the time if someone's nice to you just because. I rely on instinct when it comes to friendship. Jason's like my gay boyfriend. It's been a little bit like Will & Grace actually, except that he's a bit more flamboyant than Will is. And I don't have red hair. And we don't live with each other.

My mobile's ringing and yesiree, it's Jason, calling to ask if I've seen the newest model for this fashion brand. Er. No? He is horrified and says I need to up my style quotient. I'm happy wearing my Team Jacob shirt. He says he's taking me shopping tomorrow. He'll lure me towards the flashy LBDs, I'll probably gravitate towards the row of black Chucks. We'll have a little debate for sure. Then we'll both listen to New Moon on his iPod, sharing earphones, LBDs and black Chucks forgotten.

Small talk can lead to genuine friendship. It's all a matter of two kindred souls meeting at the right place at the right time. Thank you Young Adult section! Thank you bookstore! Thank you Stephenie Meyer!

No Comment so far

Post a Comment